Thursday, August 28

Fence Faith

Job 20:20-28:19

Job waited in faith. When we have prayed to God, we must observe what answers God gives by His word, His Spirit, and His providences.

“I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower [Hebrew. fenced place], and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved.” Habakkuk 2:1


Throughout these chapters, Job tries to move his friend’s affections, that he might gain their attention. Job 21:1-6

Moving on through Chapter 22; one of the unhappiest moments of Job, whilst interacting with his friends (as it is of many an honest man) - to be misunderstood!

Chapter 23; begins Job’s response to Eliphaz; in this reply he takes no notice of his friends, most likely because it were of no avail. Job seems to struggle between flesh and spirit, fear and faith. Yet, during the course of these complaints he comforts himself with the assurance of God's clemency (mercy) – Vs.6, 7 “Will he plead against me with his great power? No; but he would put strength in me. There the righteous might dispute with him; so should I be delivered for ever from my judge.”

Chapter 24; In summary, following on from all the dialogue, Job concludes - we cannot say that all who are in trouble are wicked; for it is certain that all who are in prosperity are not righteous - Vs.24 “They are exalted for a little while, but are gone and brought low; they are taken out of the way as all other, and cut off as the tops of the ears of corn.”

Chapter 25; This Chapter contains two misapplied lessons directed by Bildad however; they are great lessons for us all to learn.

Bildad makes a very short reply to Job's last discourse. In very few words, Bildad shows the infinite distance there is between God and man, teaching us,
I. To think highly and honorably of God - Job 25:2-3, 5 “…Behold even to the moon, and it shineth not; yea, the stars are not pure in his sight.”
II. To think despicably of ourselves - Job 25:4, 6 “How then can man be justified with God? or how can he be clean that is born of a woman?” “How much less man, that is a worm? and the son of man, which is a worm?”

Chapter 26; Job out-does Bildad in magnifying God and setting forth his power, to show what reason he had still to say, as he did! – Vs.2-4 “How hast thou helped him that is without power? how savest thou the arm that hath no strength?”

Chapter 27; His friends are finally out of breath, and at last, they allow Job the room he needs to speak.

Job was too hard for them, and forced them to quit the field. Truth is great isn’t it, and always prevails! For the first time, without any interruption or vexation toward him, Job said all he desired to say in this matter:
I. He begins with a solemn affirmation of his integrity and of his resolution to hold it fast Vs.2-6 “…God forbid that I should justify you: till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me.”
II. He expresses the dread he had of the hypocrisy which they charged him with Vs.7-10 “Let mine enemy be as the wicked, and he that riseth up against me as the unrighteous…”
III. He shows the miserable end of wicked people, notwithstanding their long prosperity, and the curse that attends them and is entailed upon their families Vs.11-23 “…For God shall cast upon him, and not spare: he would fain flee out of his hand…”

Chapter 28: The twist of this chapter is very unlike the rest of this book.
1. Job forgets his sores, and all his sorrows.
2. We see a virtuoso performer, as he talks like a philosopher – both naturally and morally.
3. Here he shows:
a. How industriously worldly wealth is sought for and pursued by the children of men, what pains they take, what deceitful plans they have, and what hazards they run to get it - Vs.1-11
b. The price of wisdom is very great; it is of inestimable value - Vs.5-19
c. The place of wisdom is very secret - Vs.14, 20, 22
d. Wisdom is hidden in God - Vs.23-27
e. Wisdom is revealed to the children of men - Vs.28

Personal Observation:
Wisdom cannot be found in my searching into the mysteries of how God deals with me, but in my fearing and obeying Him.

The earth is stored with the goodness of God; with all needful treasures obtained by human skill, with industry and the resolve to obtain them. Suffice to say, I should be devoutly acknowledging God’s goodness, and be lead gratefully to adore and serve Him.

The Almighty Word, Jesus Christ, we know now, is that Wisdom. The price of wisdom is above any precious object. It consists in humbly receiving the revelation of his will which he has been pleased to make known to us, and conforming our lives to it.

“He hath fenced up my way that I cannot pass, and he hath set darkness in my paths.”
Job 19:8

God had Job exactly where He wanted him – fenced in and nowhere to go; physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. Good and bad, God has me exactly where He wants me.

Don’t you feel fenced in sometimes? It’s in the eye of the storm, it’s inside the fence, and it’s at the heart of the lesson - where God can do the most with me. After all, I have nowhere else to turn, and He has me precisely in His hands!

I acknowledge this day that God is in control - no matter what happens in my life. I declare that He is the love of my life, the joy of my days, the skip to my walk, and the song on my lips. I thank Him for the afflictions I have faced and continue in. “Oh, how I love Jesus!”

Thank God for the “fence” in my life! Blessed be the Lord, for He has shown me His marvelous kindness by giving me protection, and His defending favor.

I Love You,
Deborah

No comments: