Friday, September 19

The Key to Success

The Norwegian King’s Crown- goldsmith Olof Wihlborg of Sweden.

Revelation 2:18-3:22

“Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.” Revelation 3:20



An overview of what the 7 Churches represent
Ephesus - Typifies the 1st Century as a whole (2:1-7)
Smyrna - Characterizes the church under persecution (2:8-11)
Pergamos - “Where Satan dwells” (2:13); represents and is suggestive of the church mixing with the world. Pergamos had lost their pilgrim character, and was living where Satan’s seat was, that is, in the world (2:12-17)
Thyatira - Reveals how evil progresses in the church and idolatry is practiced (2:18-29)
Sardis - Is representative of the church that is dead, yet still have a minority of godly men and women - as during the Reformation (3:1-6)
Philadelphia - Shows revival and a state of spiritual advance (3:7-13)
Laodicea - Laodicea is illustrative of the final state of Apostasy which the visible church will experience (3:14-19)

Two of the seven churches, were of particular interest to me: Philadelphia and Laodicea.

Philadelphia (means brotherly love) - Economic description
a. It was built as a center of Greek culture around 200 B.C.
b. Philadelphia was celebrated for its excellent wine.
c. The city had a heavy Jewish population
d. Destroyed by an earthquake in A.D 17, it was rebuilt by Tiberius Caesar.

The commendation - The church of Philadelphia hears two of the most blessed and precious things which could ever be said about a local church;
1. You openly confess to the inspiration of the Word of God.
2. You openly confess to the incarnation of the Son of God.

These are the first two doors of the 4-special doors in Revelation;
1. The door of service - (3:8)
2. The door of the human hearts - (3:20)

Laodicea (means judgment) - Economic description
a. It was a banking center and possessed immense wealth.
b. It was graced with resplendent (magnificent) temples and theaters.
c. An excellent and well-known medical school was built there.
d. It was noted for the manufacture of rich garments of black glossy wool.
e. Several mineral streams were located nearby.
f. The city was famous for its eye ointment called cellyrium.

The condemnation - The most sunken churches of the seven, namely, Sardis and Laodicea, are the ones in which alone are specified no opponents from without, nor heresies from within.

Conclusion of this chapter
Our Saviour concludes this epistle, as he did the former, with a promise to the persevering Christian, “To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.” (3:21)

Christ here distinguishes between his own throne and his Father's; and he plainly tells us, that as he obtained his glory by overcoming Satan and the world, so must we; "To him that overcometh will I grant-- even as I also overcame:" the way to heaven for Christ and all his members is the same; as he conquered and finally overcame on earth before he was crowned in heaven, so must we.

Personal Observation
If I were to personally describe the economy in Sydney, and the spiritual condition of the church therein, Laodicea typifies this. After living in Sydney for 45-years, it was not until I relocated to America, that the spiritual filters were removed from my eyes, and I saw a glimpse of what God has revealed to me through His word, and many, many hours of researching, and praying through the Scriptures.

I lament everyday for a spiritual revival in Australia - a “lukewarm country.” As a nation that embraces abortion, homosexuality, and the removal of God out of the state schools, public arena, and court system---I anticipate His judgment (which has consequently begun).

But alas, there a faithful servants who continue the great commission, but Australia needs a revival, and the fire of God to burn in the hearts of many more men and women - once again.
“I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” Revelation 3:15, 16

Are you 100% sure that you are going to heaven? If you died today, would you see the Saviour’s face? You can know! Please use the Link; "How Can I Know"

Do you daily have the victory over sin and temptation?

“To him that overcometh will I grant-- even as I also overcame…” (3:21)

Overcometh - Greek translation - to subdue (literally or figuratively):--conquer, overcome, prevail, get the victory.

Don’t waste your money on a success coach, or “how to be successful” seminars (I have in the past). The Bible tells us that the key to success is in “overcoming.”

Paraphrased: To him that overcometh, namely, all the trials and temptations of this life, and keeps his faith, love, and obedience, entire to the end, I will grant, not in a way of merit, but of free gift and grace, to sit down with me in my throne, namely, to partake of the same power, and glory, and kingdom, that I as Mediator do now partake of.

Thus Christ shuts up this chapter in Revelation, as he did all the preceding epistles before, with a repeated exhortation to all Christians to the end of the world, to;
1. Hear the Word
2. Read the Word
3. Attend unto, and observe, all the cautions and warnings, all the reproofs and counsels, all the promises and threatening, contained in this and the other epistles, as matters that do greatly concern all Christians to understand and know, “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith…”

I encouragee you to look beyond life's struggles and disappointments and learn to live with a sense of purpose and significance.

I Love You,
Deborah

No comments: