Monday, May 25

The Master Carpenter

Almug Tree

"And the king made of the almug trees pillars for the house of the LORD, and for the king's house, harps also and psalteries for singers: there came no such almug trees, nor were seen unto this day." 1 Kings 10:12

My schedule each day involves reading several chapters of the Bible to our son Caleb. Prior to our morning devotion, I ask God for wisdom and understanding as I read from His Word and teach our son. If I come across a word or a subject that I have little knowledge in, I will research and learn all I can and then transfer that knowledge onto Caleb.

When God says for us to "get wisdom" He is simple saying, get smart! "Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding." Psalm 4:7

As Christian women, we can have rational souls, the means of grace, the striving of the Spirit, and access to God by prayer. We can also make use of time and opportunity to grow in the knowledge of God, which consequently involves His varying and endless skills.

Good parents will help their children to get wisdom. Great parents work at this principle each day and are merely good parents who put it into practice daily. 

The Bible tells us that we have no heart for getting wisdom; "...seeing he hath no heart to it?" Proverbs 17:16

Yet by God's grace, we can develop a heart for learning and understanding God's ways.

With this knowledge at hand I am very diligent in my learning new things each day and transferring this intelligence onto the next generation. When we understand our weaknesses, we have the necessary ammunition to work on the weakness and develop the smart-muscles we need to grow in our understanding of the whole of Scripture.

When I expand my knowledge in specific areas, a natural synergy occurs during the learning process. Part of this method involves a greater appreciation of the subject I am studying and a renewed attitude for the particular area I am focusing on at the time.

God is very specific about the use of words and is just as meticulous about the wood He chose for each and every building plan in Scripture.

When I worked in the Landscape Architectural industry, I would select all the various materials that would be used in a particular project. The resources I applied would vary from natural stone, mosaics, pebbles, and exacting products that all culminated and produced a balanced and beautiful design. My work was in no shape or form as magnificent as God's exact choice for His brilliant blueprint. He is greatness in all its entirety.

Before I researched what almug was I had no real idea what I would learn. Almug was a sweet smelling timber used for the temple of King Solomon. Native to southern India, it is commonly known as the red sandalwood or "red sanders wood". It grows to approximately twenty feet in height with its trunk about four feet in circumference. Its wood is quite strong, antiseptic, and inhabitable for insects. Flower blossoms are compared to the pea's and form pods.

Timber from the Almug tree is extremely heavy and has a fine-grained appearance. Its outside is black and inside is ruby red. The wood polishes nicely. It was used for musical instruments such as harps and psalteries. The psaltery (also called the Nebel), was a collection of different large instruments. Harps of Biblical times were much smaller. One harp called the Kinnor, was likely made of this wood. An ingredient, known as tannin from Almug wood, was mixed with Sapan to make a rich, red colored dye, for silks and woolen fabrics. A common use for Sandalwood would be to act as perfume for homes with it strewn across couches.

"And the king made of the almug trees pillars for the house of the LORD, and for the king's house, harps also and psalteries for singers: there came no such almug trees, nor were seen unto this day." 1 Kings 10:12

It's intriguing to learn that, with all the gorgeous furniture that has been and continues to be crafted from Almug, none replicate the beauty of Solomon's temple. God's best was kept for His purpose and there is none that has come or will come as close in its beauty; "...there came no such almug trees, nor were seen unto this day."

Sandalwood has the most magnificent fragrance however, the wood must be struck first by an ax before the scent is released and enjoyed.

How this reminds me of my life and the trials I have been through and must go through. It has not been until I have been struck with hardship that I reflect the glory of God and continue to be a sweet savor to Him.

May you live your life out reflecting Jesus Christ. In your home and environment, pass your faith onto the next generation.

From the Heart of Deborah Choma

No comments: