Friday, September 5

Faithful Deposits into God's Safe-Keep

2 Timothy 1-4

“For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.” 2 Timothy 1:12

Second Timothy was (and interpreter’s agree), the last epistle written by Paul and penned toward the end of Nero’s reign.

Paul was imprisoned – condemned as a criminal, abandoned by his friends, and awaiting death. Prior to this, he was a political prisoner, and visited frequently by his friends. He reveals “the man.” Anxious to see his disciple Timothy, before his death, and urging him to bring Mark, he felt it necessary also, to give him by letter, a last warning of the heresies infecting the Churches.

This letter is rich in personal allusions; here he mentions 23-men, women, friends, and foes.

During my studies in 2nd Timothy, I saw 4-aspects of Paul’s character; Paul the Preacher, Paul the Pattern, Paul the Prophet, and Paul the Prisoner.

I must share, that this epistle was particularly encouraging to my spirit, and refreshed my day in a very special way.

Paul the Preacher

“Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.” 2 Timothy 1:11

He gives a sevenfold description of himself in Chapter 1;
An Apostle – 1:1
A Father – 1:2
A Faithful Servant – 1:3
A Prisoner – 1:8
A Preacher – 1:11
A Teacher – 1:11
A Sufferer – 1:12

I found the following word study on “Teacher.”

Old Testament Terms for “Teacher”
1. Discipline
2. Law
3. Discernment
4. Wisdom
5. Knowledge
6. Illumination
7. Vision
8. Inspiration
9. Nourishment

New Testament Terms for “Teacher”
1. Instruction
2. Acquisition
3. Presentation
4. Elucidation
5. Exposition
6. Authority
7. Care
8. Supervision

Paul the Pattern

“And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.”
2 Timothy 2:2

In this Chapter, Paul likens the life of a believer (especially a Pastor), to 8-earthly occupations;
A Steward – 2:2
A Soldier – 2:3,4
An Athlete – 2:5
A Farmer – 2:6,7
An Instructor – 2:11-14
A Student – 2:15
A Vessel – 2:20,21
A Servant – 2:24

Paul the Prophet

“This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.” 2 Timothy 3:1

In this remarkable passage, Paul claims the Bible is profitable for Doctrine, Reproof, Corrections, and Instruction in Righteousness.

Paul the Prisoner


His Final Charge – Chapter 4:1, 2, 5
Preach the Word
Be diligent at all times
Reprove, rebuke, and exhort whenever needed
Remain alert at all times
Bear up under persecutions
Evangelize your field
Utilize your ministry to the fullest

His Final Warning – Chapter 4:3, 4
In the last days, men won’t tolerate healthy doctrine
They will be controlled by their own lusts
In their restlessness, they will seek out many false teachers
Having refused the truth they fall victim to fables

His Final Testimony – Chapter 4:6, 7
Paul had already regarded his ministry in winning the lost to Christ, as an offering to God, and now his approaching death would complete the sacrifice.

His Final Request – Chapter 4:9, 11, 12, 13, 19, 21
Timothy was to come immediately
He was to bring John Mark with him.
He was to bring Paul’s cloak he had left at Troas
Timothy was to bring Paul’s study books
He was to bring the parchments – Paul’s copies of the Old Testament.

N.B Here is a man who conducted the first three missionary trips ever attempted for Christ, who had personally seen the Saviour on at least four occasions, who had written approximately half of the New Testament, and who had organized the first fifty or so Christian churches on this earth. Now in his hour of death, he requests the Scriptures. Evidently, he felt he could still learn from the pages – isn’t that incredible?

His Final Sorrow
– Chapter 4:10, 14, 15, 16
Demas had forsaken him
Alexander had persecuted him
His friends at Rome had not helped him

His Final Confidence – Chapter 4:8, 17, 18
God had stood by him during all past dangers
God would stand by him during any further dangers
Both past and future sufferings would be abundantly rewarded by that Righteous Judge someday

His Final Prayer – Chapter 4:22
“The Lord Jesus Christ be with they spirit. Grace be with you. Amen.”

Personal Observation
As a child of God, studying the Word of God is important to me. The Bible is a profound and priceless book. The most important reason I study Scripture is because of the Author.

I once read, that the greatest accolade you could give to a writer is this statement, “Oh yes - I’ve read the book!” That is considered a huge honor, and something the Author loves to hear.

I love to say to God, “I read your book today – I loved it! This was my favorite part, and I saw this---and learned this---about you.”

Our enemy the devil has read it! Satan quotes from Psalm 91 (out of context) – but how did he know about it? Satan studied Psalm 91, and has it memorized.

I have compiled a list of why I love to study the Word of God. Today I have chosen two great reasons;
1. Because of the Author
2. I don’t want Satan to have an advantage over me.

I’m learning from the pages like never before – “The Book” contains the most beautiful literature I have ever read!

I Love You,
Deborah

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Deborah,
I particularly enjoyed todays post. It was refreshing to me as it is now 1:40 pm and it was only a half hour ago that I was able to "escape to my hotel room and read 1 John. I appreciate your study and the fact that it is pertinent and refreshing and that I can benefit from your hours of study!
Love,
Leanne