Monday, March 9

A More Excellent Way

“Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD.” Pro 8:34, 35

Today, my heart is heavy with sorrow. My life is surrounded by the afflictions and tragedies of Christian women who walk through the valley of death and whom I am personally involved with. One friend is battling cancer; another buries her baby girl this week, and a precious friend buries her mother and brother tomorrow; three different friends, three different responses, and a trilateral opportunity to demonstrate the love of God.
As I place my three friends upon my heart and draw a line to each circumstance, I have a trilogy. The effect of meditating on His Words and having empathy for the sorrow that surrounds each of my friends individually has had a most profound impact. Their afflictions magnify the Love of God.

“He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?” (Mic 6:8)

How do I know what to say to these women? How can I reach inside of my own heart and possibly find the right words to express any level of empathy? How do I begin to identify with their circumstances or share their sorrow? My love is not merely enough and what do I say when I feel at loss for words of comfort?

Last night my husband baptized our son Caleb. It was an exciting time for us and for those who shared our joy. I waited patiently as my eyes were fixed on the men’s pool. My neck was stretched toward the ceiling as I craned for a clearer view of their entrance into the water. Finally, the moment had arrived and there was my son held safely in the arms of his adoring father. As his eyes scanned the auditorium he lifted his little arm and waved to me. As any proud mama would, I waved excitedly in return.

With great anticipation I heard the words, “Caleb my son, I now baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost – Amen…” I did not take my eyes off him.

Once again I have been reminded of the love of God. He does not take His eyes off me and---hurting friend, He does not take His eyes off you. As you weep the tears of a heart filled with sorrow, His eyes are fixed upon you. Our every need, our every concern, our innermost fears, and our deepest hurts – He sees, He hears, and He runs to us! And His eyes never wander off, they stay fixed on you---He will not take His eyes off you!

“His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.” (Sol 5:16)

He is nothing but loveliness; gold without alloy, light without darkness, and glory without cloud - yea, he is altogether lovely. His whole life we must imitate. His whole character we must copy. In Him there is all perfection. We cannot know God if we don’t read the Word of God nor can we hope for a victorious life as a Christian woman without His Word embedded in our hearts.
His unconditional love and guidance are available to us all through the afflictions and tragedies of life. His thoughts are precious to me. Are not His thoughts precious to you?

Christian woman, do you realize how attractive you are to God? Every member of His glorious body is gorgeous to Him – He does not take His eyes off you! Alone, our love is not a seal set on His heart. It is fastened on His arm of power also! The love of God and the power of God are available to us all.
Getting a hold of God is the most important part and start to my day. If I don’t place God as the supreme object in my day then I cannot hope to live a more excellent way. The whole purpose of my life is to demonstrate the love of God to other women. I cannot hope to meet the most basic needs of hurting friends nor share their sorrow if I am not in tune with the Author of our thoughts. He alone guides our steps and exposes our motives.

This trilogy of tragedy has been and continues to be my classroom in the School of God’s love. I cannot begin to experience the love of God illuminating through my own life without first seeking the face of God and His sacrificial love. Christ is the Believer’s life. Christ is the Believer’s pattern. Christ is the Believer’s object, and Christ is the Believer’s strength. God responds to our response to His word and His life. Without these ingredients in the Christian woman’s life we cannot expect to have the power and strength we need to get through our responsibilities and the challenges that lay ahead. Without exercising our faith each day we lay a foundation for anxiety and create turmoil.

As a Christian woman, if you live a life filled with anxiety then I extend an antidote to anxiety;

1. Make Christ your life – Before you begin anything begin your day by reading God’s word. If you do not schedule this, you won’t do it. Write a Bible verse down in a journal that reveals the character of God. Have a prayer time that praisies Him for all that He is, all He has done, and conclude with an attitude of gratitude.

2. Make Christ your pattern – Don’t let the world dictate the way you talk, walk, and live. Every day before I read my Bible I ask God to reveal His character to me as I read His Word. I pray that He gives me wisdom and understanding. I then ask God to refresh my spirit and teach me His perfect way for the whole of my life. Do you know that I have never come away from my quiet time being disappointed? God answers my prayers for wisdom. He answers my prayers for understanding. He refreshes my spirit and teaches me something diverse every day. I am a student of His perfect ways for living the Christian life – I am never dissatisfied or disappointed. He responds above and beyond!

3. Make Christ your object – For the most part of my day the object of my affection is our son Caleb. What God wants is for me to transfer my unconditional love that I have for our son onto Him. It’s not merely enough that I seek Him diligently, He wants all of my affections. If I am to live the Christian woman’s life in a more excellent way then I am to demonstrate my love and affection toward God above and beyond any other here on earth. He must be the object of my love and primary affection.

4. Make Christ your strength – When I start my day without acknowledging that I need God, my day is presumed on my own strength. The only problem with this type of living is that we never have victory in the most basic areas of our life. And, our strength is like a ship that sets out to sea and as the wind dies down, so does its charted course. The vessel is tossed and turned with many variables and who knows where it will be anchored much less shipwrecked?

To lean on the everlasting strength is to give your life a compass and to anchor your soul on Rock. As a Christian woman, going through your day without the Word of God and without talking to Him is the equivalent to travelling in a plane without a pilot. There is no autopilot in the life of a Christian woman who does not exercise the most basic principles for living a victorious life and being prepared for the grief we must all bear at one time or another.

A more excellent way is at the core of my heart. It’s not enough that I have a scheduled Bible reading and prayer time – I ask God that His Word burn in my heart and that He meet me by the way each and every day!

I echoe encouragement as my heart is filled with sorrow for these precious women. Stay close to Him. He will meet you by the way and minister to your hurting souls. The harness for our life is secured by following these principles. The way through this world in which God leads us is often very different from what we expect or desire and very different from what any finite mind at the time would think to be best. God is the guide and protector of His people. To follow Him is perfectly safe.

“And David said unto Saul, Thy servant kept his father's sheep, and there came a lion, and a bear, and took a lamb out of the flock: And I went out after him, and smote him, and delivered it out of his mouth:” (1 Sam 17:34,35)
Christ is our Shepherd and His hook is our guide by day and our stay by night. He loves His lambs and His eyes are upon us 24/7. Are you that lamb caught in the thicket? Do you feel choked by the hand that has divinely dealt your burden? The Shepherd is near and He hears your cry. He adores you my friend – more than we will ever comprehend – He loves us!
"The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry." (Ps 34:15)

He watches each one of us as carefully and intently as if there were only you or I in the universe. Slighted by others, we are never neglected by Him. Furthermore, His propensity is to hear; He leans and hangs towards us and our prayers. His Word assures us that He does indeed attend to the details of our life. He sees you, He hears you, and He delivers you!

And…I Love You,
Deborah

No comments: