Monday, April 27

Kite Flying - Robes of Love

"Blessed be the LORD: for he hath shewed me his marvellous kindness in a strong city." Psalm 31:21

When the Lord blesses us we cannot do less than bless him in return. Gratitude is never short of subjects is it? Have you ever taken time to meditate on the astonishing kindness of God? Whether in great places or secret havens, our blessed Lord has revealed himself to us and we never forget the hallowed spots: the lonely mount of Hermon, the village of Emmaus, the rock of Patmos, or the wilderness of Horeb - we are all alike...renowned...when God manifests himself to us in robes of love.

On the weekend my husband took my son and me to a beautiful open field near our home. When he had mentioned going kite flying I was apprehensive. I wanted to stay home and catch up on some things. My sweetheart is so persuasive at times and I was convinced that going would be most enjoyable for us all. I had not given thought to what God’s opinion of us kite flying was.
Apart from the thrill of my son’s exuberant face our kite-flying became a divine appointment.

We arrived in our car, unloaded the kite and began to play. After twenty-minutes or so, a woman arrived with two small children and played at the nearby swings. As we were flying our kite God kept tugging at my heart-strings and drawing my attention to this lady. Time had lapsed and it was Caleb’s interest in the little boy that drew him from kite-flying and onto socializing. But you see, even that was part of God’s purpose in persuading me to go over to where she was.

After connecting in a very real way, I spoke to her about Jesus and His purpose for our life. We began what I believe will be a friendship and I pray she will come to church with us this Sunday.
For the first time in her life she is reading her Bible and praying morning and night. In her words, “I am on my knees and He is all I have!”

I prayed for Becky in the early hours of this morning and as the tears trickled down my face I thanked God that He would count me worthy of His miracles big and small. Through His marvelous works I have been greatly encouraged. Like a jump lead to my heart His divine appointment has rekindled my hope and strengthened my spirit. As I read Psalm 31 this morning it pierced my heart. I write in my journal the verses that particularly jump out to me but as I reread this Chapter they seemed to come alive with the love of God and the hope I have through Him and in His Word. I started to write some things I am learning about myself through my own trials and thought that perhaps you could identify with one and it would encourage your spirit this week;

Wisdom I have learned
  1. The love of God and how I can demonstrate His love to others.
  2. The lies I tell myself about what I think will make me happy and the truth God teaches me through His perfect Word.
  3. I don’t need to figure out the “whys” and the hows” of my life. He holds me in the palm of His hand.
  4. To learn of God’s vision for my life and to not rely on my own imagination or perspective.
  5. To replace my ‘happiness yardstick’ with the joy I find in God.
  6. An awareness of the strongholds and the negative forces that bind me into a state of despair and that generate fear and bad thoughts.
  7. My need for God.

“O love the Lord, all ye his saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful, and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer. Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.” Psalm 31: 23-24

There is so much more I have learned about myself after God removed the props in my life, but what I have shared is what God brought to my attention this morning. These props were all the things that represented the sameness in my life; my money, possessions, busyness and routine of going to work – what presented me to others and gave me security and a sense of self-worth.

I now know that God gets our attention anyway He chooses and God is always good even when it gets bad! I have also learned that God has a purpose for my life and by removing the props He has exposed me for what I really am. He has begun to mould me into a finer vessel for His glory!

Do I know what tomorrow holds? No! But I know that He holds tomorrow in His hand and I can lean on Him as my security and self-worth.

Have a wonderful week as you seek Him each day and ask Him for wisdom and understanding for your life.

I Love You,

Deborah

No comments: