Tuesday, March 2

Mercy Receptor

“Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.” Matthew 5:7

As a woman who has a close daily walk with God, I seek wisdom for each area of my life; as a wife, as a mother, in my relationships, my workplace and in my goals. I offer myself as a living sacrifice to God and ask Him to guard my tongue, place filters on my eyes and ears, and to give me an attitude-check on what I say and do.

There is no greater influence in my life than my relationship with Jesus Christ. He is my life-coach and His Word is my manual.

Mercy has been in the spot-light for me this week. I've learned more about mercy than I can recall having learned prior to this time. The older I get and the more I mature in my faith, the greater my understanding of what mercy means to me personally and to my life as I transfer it onto others. It doesn't surprise me that my focus is on such a beautiful topic - I need mercy...oh, I need mercy!

Throughout our daily lives there are many opportunities for us to demonstrate mercy.

As a mother I encourage you to use your homes as a classroom for mercy. I use the routine of our lives as a tool for training our son in giving and receiving mercy. It's no surprise as I develop my walk with God that He develops my ability to look and prepare for what I call "golden opportunities."

Most recently Caleb was the recipient of mercy instead of something stronger and more deserved. As mothers, the same power we have to exercise discipline is the same power we can use to train our little ones in mercy. Sometimes restraining has a greater impact in training. Caleb said, "Are you going to tell me about mercy mama?" He then collapsed on the bed sobbing as the love and mercy of a mother impacted him.

Great things are simple aren't they?

Tears often well up in my own eyes as I connect the dots and feel the impact of the love and mercy of my Lord and Saviour. Teaching our children these precious truths will impact their lives in a most profound way. They too will grow to understand the love and mercy of God; a God powerful enough to turn the impossible into reality and yet be very real in our own personal lives.

He adores us and is very aware of what we do in private that imparts His greatness and His goodness.

There are 6-famous quotes on mercy and yet the impact of mercy is the air I breathe and could not survive with in its absence. In the Scriptures "mercy" is used 265-times and "merciful" is used 40-times.

Mercy is important to God.

Not a week goes by where I am given a gift that meets a specific need. Most recently a girlfriend unexpectedly visited me with such a gift. Totally unaware, she met a great need. Carefully planned, His mercy came knocking on my door.

Nothing goes unnoticed by God. In fact, He is Creator and Provider of everything connected and needed for this life on earth.

Jesus Christ typifies this, “in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8

In our stead; He has saved us from death. He has taken our place and by dying Himself on the cross He has saved us from dying eternally in hell - that's mercy!

We deserve His displeasure. What He gave was eternally beyond what we could ever earn or be worthy of.

Does the love and mercy of God impact you? Nowhere do we imitate God more than in showing mercy. The exercise of mercy delights God more than any other act of good Christianity. It is He alone that parts the clouds of compassion and ignites the chemistry that binds mercy into action.

The closer I get to God the more I find myself as a mercy receptor. I am very sensitive to God’s mercy through the stimuli of His Word. This translates into acts of kindness toward others and the receiving of kindness from others.

Mercy will follow as you follow Him!

A great preacher once said, "We don't think of anything!" That statement adhered to my mind and has driven me to a deeper understanding of the still quiet voice of God. There have been many times where the Holy Spirit has prompting me to pray for a specific person and I have bowed my head in prayer simultaneously. Unfortunately, there have been times where the Holy Spirit has prompted me with a name of someone and I have continued in my busyness only to have forgotten the name just a mere ten-minutes down the twisty-track of my day.

Aren't you glad that God is never too busy for us?

Do you feel God’s mercy being transferred to you? Specific events should enter your mind and if not, perhaps you need to exercise mercy’s molecules and bind them to someone in need of mercy.

The Bible teaches us to show mercy each day - “Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.” Matthew 5:7

At the same time each morning I drive our son to school. There is a young mother (when you are 50 with a 6-year old...they're all young) with what I would describe as lead-feet. I'm convinced she has lead-lined driving shoes glued to an accelerator permanently on 'fast!'

As an older more mature woman, on more than one occasion, I have felt the twinge to alight from my car and share some driving techniques with her.

Suffice to say, she must love those lead-boots and that still quiet voice keeps reminding me of mercy.

We can't change how others react but what we can control is how we respond. Has it ever occurred to you that the problem may by your attitude?

Another great preacher once said, "Be kind to everyone because everyone's having a bad day!" That's a great rule to live by isn't it?

We are made in the image of our Heavenly Father. It is of great comfort to know that He will not and He cannot disown, in the merciful, the image of Himself. God delights in us and He looks for multiple opportunities to flex His mercy muscles. He doesn't pick and choose mercy recipients; He pours His mercy upon us all - lovingly, freely, and always willingly.

Look for His mercy today and be sensitive to the need for mercy toward others.

Our homes are our classroom for learning and weaving these great truths. Mercy can be woven through our marriages, our child-training; mercy could be an addition to a New Year's Resolution (never too late to make adjustments) and through our trials.

I need mercy and so does someone else!

After studying mercy at great length I have come to the conclusion that mercy is needed in every aspect of my life. Because I have a greater awareness of my own need for mercy I have a greater responsibility to demonstrate mercy toward others.

Guess what? You're more aware now!

Our need of mercy ought to ignite deeds of mercy.

I Love You,

Deborah

No comments: